Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Defining "Done"

I'm convinced that "done" means different things to different people at different times. When my neighbor is "done" cleaning her kitchen it is because there isn't a speck of ANYTHING to be found (even behind a closed cupboard door). When I am "done" cleaning MY kitchen it is either because
A - I am going to go CRAZY if I waste even ONE more second in a place that is getting progressively DIRTIER!
B - I have TOTALLY run out of TIME and need to go tread water (if that) somewhere else...
D - OR "that's IT! I quit! I am DONE!"
and yes, I should probably include an E - ALL of the above on this too.
I don't ever get it in such great working order that there is nothing else that I can even dig up to do!

Laundry - same thing. I decided that in order to preserve the pathetic excuse for "sanity" that I cling to by my very raw finger tips sometimes - I would have to change my idea of "done". I crave the feeling of finishing something - even more is the desire to have something "done", if you will, that won't be "undone" in a matter of minutes - but that is a different rant... so in my desire to finish something that can never really BE finished I changed my idea of "finishing" or being "done". Now, instead of being "done" when all of my laundry has been pre-treated, washed, dried, folded, and carefully placed in perfectly organized closets with a smile, I change my expectations and decided to be "done" when I have TWO loads washed, dried, and crammed into baskets behind closed bedroom doors (preferably NOT mine) - or (some days) to get ONE load in the washer AT ALL - or my favorite - to RE-wash the load that has been sitting in the washer going funky for three days! And in this perverted way, I find satisfaction in what I am able to get "done".

Well, at least sometimes I do...

Laundry and Life - how are they so interchangeable?

4 comments:

  1. Amen. I would like to add that my definition of "done" laundry would be one big basket full of clean socks, search through and find a pair at your own risk, because that's as good as it is going to get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that I am not the only one who sometimes (I use this word rather losely) has a load of laundry going funky in the washer!

    Like you, I try to do one load a day. Now, I know my plight seems pathetic because I only have two girls, but in my defense, they change their clothes 10 times a day. It is driving me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you think. I have missed your bits of wisdom and our good discussions! I am glad to have found a place where I can go to get it again. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank for good post and sharing......gclub

    ReplyDelete